Wednesday, April 22, 2009

i killed the dream she dreamed

Susan Boyle is a fraud and not all that talented. I know I am in the minority as I am not at all impressed with "the never been kissed" singer's performance. And honestly calling it a performance is a bit of a stretch. I didn't mind it at first as I just thought it was one of those 15 minutes of fame that would pass, but several people at work who don't know much about musicals in general have come to me as the expert and been amazed at my differing opinion.

I was not expecting to see a Patti LuPone type rendition, the original as it was presented to me, but for this is a very special song and it needs to be sung as opposed to belted as ms Boyle did. I thought a much better song for her to do, if the insistence was to do a torch song from a well known musical, would have been "Don't cry for me Argentina" (also made famous by the superb talents of LuPone.) "Argentina", though a good song, does not carry the emotional range in its vocal part and inflection but more in the lyrics and to that end would have suited her.

I shouldn't complain about the typical sappiness of the production for a reality show, but this to me was a bit over the top. "never been kissed", the shoes, the drab dress, the standing ovations and peanut gallery commentary... and honestly why have the "virgin" sing a song about a whore who is dying...

Another problem I had with this was the way the audience embraced this French tale sung by a Scotswoman. Where is there sense of national pride. The kids in London should have booed her off stage.

oh well...